A vehicle is a large asset that requires due care and adherence to all the relevant laws and regulations to avoid any mess while shipping it. Are you aware of those laws? Click here to know.
When you are moving your entire life to a new country, you cannot leave your vehicle behind. The global moving company you have hired to move your stuff can also be your auto transport company if they provide the services. But, before you pack it and ready it, make sure that you are aware of the laws, rules, and regulations of international car shipping.
Every country has different rules and regulations for the import of a vehicle in their country. Your auto transport company must be aware of all those rules and regulations of the destination country. You need to prepare your car before it is shipped.
• Remove all of your personal accessories and loose items and empty the car and the trunk.
• Remove every drop of gasoline or other flammable materials.
• Remove or disconnect the car battery.
The import of your car also depends on the age and type of vehicle. Every country has different import regulations. An age-old vehicle or one that could not pass the emission test cannot be permitted.
As your car must be empty, you cannot ship any personal stuff along with your car. If you put it in there and it gets damaged, you won’t be able to claim damage. The cars are shipped according to their weight. Also, only a vehicle up to 7 feet high (as per the standard carrier) can be imported. Your car’s engine, the size of the engine, the value of your car also affects the taxes, duties, and tariffs.
It is imperative that every good coming in and going out of the country goes through customs.
• Discuss with your auto transport company whether it is aware of the customs regulations of the destination country and has shipped vehicles there previously as every country has its own customs laws.
• You also need to do your homework. Search online or consult your consulate, if any, in the destination country, if there are any specific rules you need to adhere to import your vehicle safely and smoothly.
• When your vehicle arrives in the destination country, you need an agent there to receive it who provides custom clearance services. If your auto transport company does not provide the services, you will need to hire a customs broker.
At custom, you are asked for documents, which vary according to the destination countries. These vehicles are required to ensure that the car is actually yours; you have a valid driving license, whether your car is insured and the general details of the car.
Only a company that has the required expertise of shipping vehicles can ship your vehicle without causing a crease on your forehead. So, hire a global moving company that holds a prior experience of shipping vehicles to your destination country.