A Guide for Moving AntiquesFebruary 12, 2020
Pros and Cons Of Overseas Shipping: Is It A Blessing or a Curse?February 17, 2020
Discover The Best Way To Lift Heavy Items
Hiring a professional moving company is a good decision since moving heavy objects is its specialty. The movers are trained to use the right techniques to prevent damage to items and injury to themselves. However, if you opt to do it yourself, there are tips for arranging safe lifting and moving that you should know.
- Make sure that a clear pathway has been made for moving heavy items to the exit.
- Remove any clutter that could jeopardize anyone’s safety.
- When exiting the building, have a clear area for easy movement. It should be free of rubble, mud or snow.
- Before you start lifting, get help. Ask family and friends or hire someone to assist in lifting heavy items and boxes since it’s very risky to do it yourself.
- Keep your back straight with your shoulders back. Your lower limbs will be doing the major task of lifting.
- Do not bend your back, always bend your knees. The muscle in your leg powers the lifting process. This keeps the strain away from your back.
- Hold on tightly, do not release your grip. To help to do this, a pair of work gloves can be used. If the items being moved has a handle, a firm grip can be placed on it.
- Avoid sudden movements. This can jerk your back and put pressure on it. Make sure you keep slow movement while keeping your footing secure, with small steps and a steady rhythm.
- When attempting to move heavy items, place them on a furniture slider of a 2-wheel or 4-wheel dolly. Wheel them to the exit and reduce the manual strain.
At 1Stop Pack N Ship, we have trained movers who could get your items safely to their new home. Call or message us for a free quote.